Harry and Meghan have made another hire for their burgeoning media empire. In early July, it was announced that Rebecca Sananes had been hired to head up Archewell Audio, the arm of Harry and Meghan’s for-profit company centred around Harry and Meghan’s multi-year podcasting deal with Spotify. Sananes will be responsible for overseeing podcast content from the Sussexes, and she is due to start in the position in August. Let’s learn a little about Sananes:
She has a stacked CV
Sananes has worked in public radio and podcasting for a number of years. This includes previous work at NPR and New York Magazine/Vox Media. She also has a Master’s in Journalism from Boston University and has won numerous podcasting and reporting awards.
She will be working under Ben Browning
Ben Browning is known as a UK/US-connected movie producer hired to oversee Archewell Productions and Archewell Audio. Browning produced the Oscar-winning Promising Young Woman.
She’s worked on issues important to Harry and Meghan
From her employee profile on Vox Media: “In 2015, Rebecca received the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting HIV/AIDS Fellowship. During that time she reported on the ground in Cuba, embedded with the LGBTQIA community, and wrote about the Communist country’s relationship with the AIDS pandemic. Her work was published in the book To End AIDS and was presented at the 2016 International AIDS Conference in Durban, South Africa, as well as at the National Press Club in Washington, DC.” Sananes also has experience working on stories about race and socioeconomic issues.
- Sananes’ LinkedIn profile used to be active but is no longer available. Her Twitter account is private.
- As UKRoyalTea pointed out on Twitter, the Sussex team decided to drop this hiring news on the Friday of the July 4th long weekend, which is notorious for when PR companies want to drop disappointing/normally scrutinized news that they don’t want to be picked up by the media.
- If Sananes is starting work in August, when will the next podcast episode of Archewell Audio be released? A month? Two? Christmas?
- On Sananes’s personal website is the following line: “She lives in Brooklyn with her beloved mutt, Cassius, and is proud to say that while she worked her way into the media industry, she paid her bills by hustling and waiting tables across the Northeast.” I feel like Meghan and Rebecca might be kindred spirits. The reference to hustling to work her way into the media industry is exactly what Meghan did before she got her gig on Suits. Additionally, I fully believe that Meghan was a subscriber to the culture of hustling during her acting days, as evidenced by her archived Tig and Instagram posts. Here are some articles on how toxic hustle culture is for people, especially people’s mental health:
- The toxicity of hustle culture;
- Hustle culture and toxic productivity are ruining your brain;
- The downside of hustle culture.
Thanks for reading. You can subscribe to my weekly newsletter below and/or support me on Square or Patreon. Thanks so much for your support, and for reading. Stay safe, wear a mask, and get vaccinated!!